Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May 14th 2013: Solar stocks catch FIRE!

After a few months of consolidation, the solar stocks are catching FIRE again.  Maybe because it's summer?    Maybe because oil prices are still relatively high?  Who knows?  I don't pretend to be a fundamental investor.  I don't really care why.  I just care that they're going up.  Let's take the ETF "TAN" as an example.  The 6-month chart goes from the lower left corner to the upper right corner (i.e., the general trend is up).  We just had almost 4 months of consolidation (rest) followed by a breakout.  Very short-term (intraday charts), it looks a bit over-extended (overbought).  The bigger picture (weekly chart, see below) is showing a breakout supported by volume and FORCE.  During up-trends, boxes tend to act as continuation patterns and break in the direction of the trend.  A box-length move in the direction of break would put the target at $25.92.  Ideally, we'd get a light volume pullback to set-up a better risk/reward trade and then start to ramp up with volume.  I'd look to buy the start of the ramp on a 30 min chart.

Here's the chart...

I have no position in TAN or other solar stocks right now - although I might buy a light volume pullback in the future.  I did own some WFR calls which I sold yesterday.  In retrospect, there's not really much point in owning calls on a $5 stock - I should have just bought the common which acts as a deep-in-the-money call which never expires.  I still made money on the trade, but it wasn't ideal - especially when the option volume dried up.  After 10+ years, I'm still learning with every trade.  I guess that's part of the fun.

For more charts and to read a disclaimer, please see my public chart list on stockcharts.com...





No comments:

Post a Comment